What to keep in mind when treating mold damage
Black mold restoration is something that you should not take lightly, black mold is highly toxic. You need to have the training to know what black mold looks like and how to treat it. Take a bit of time to inspect your home to make sure that it is safe for you and your family to live in.
If you don’t have any cash to spare for a professional to come and inspect and eliminate mold from your home there are actually testing kits that you can use yourself, and there are also excellent mold mitigation products you can buy.
Where to look first
The first place you should look in is the basement and the bathrooms. All types of mold love these damp and humid areas. Black mold, or any type of mold for that matter can grow on any kind of surface be it smooth tiles, countertops, or rough surfaces like concrete floors and walls. That is why it is always important to keep them clean and dry. Once you’ve finished the inspection of the house and found some places where there is in fact some black mold growing, you should immediately start mold removal.
When doing black mold restoration yourself, you should wear a protective face mask and rubber gloves so that you do not breathe in any spores of the black mold or allow it to come in contact with your skin. Inhalation of black mold spore can cause respiratory problems and other illnesses.
Before you start
You should first make sure that the area is well-ventilated since you will be working with chemicals. If the mold is just growing in a small area, you can easily remove them using plain bleach and water, but if it is a bit more difficult then you should get an industrial strength black mold removal product. Be sure to read the labels properly so that you know how to properly use the product, and also be careful not to get any of it in your eyes and mouth.
After you treat the area with the chemicals, you need to make sure that you completely dry it; leftover moisture will only cause the mold to grow once again, treating the area once is not a guarantee that the black mold will not come back; it usually takes a couple of treatments before you can be sure that the black mold is totally eliminated.
Consult a professional
If the black mold damage is too much for you to handle, then you should really try getting help from professional mold removal services to get rid of the black mold. There are times when the black mold growth may in places that you can’t really see, like inside the walls or in the cracks in the floor. If you fail to find these infestations it is highly possible that it will take over your entire home. So if you or a member of your family is displaying signs of mold inhalation (headaches, trouble breathing, etc.) but you can’t seem to find any signs of mold in your home, then it will be in your best interest to get the help of mold restoration professionals.